San Diegan brewers are in Nashville, Tennessee for the Craft Brewers Conference and World Beer Cup (WBC). After earning 14 awards in 2016 — the Cup is held every two years — locals are bringing home seven this time around.
In the largest WBC yet, 2,515 breweries spanning 66 countries entered 8,234 beers into 101 style categories. 210 volunteers assisted 295 judges from 33 countries.
Effective this year, the WBC no longer crowns Champion Breweries and Brewers. The reason: “With the continued growth of the competition, this change allows us to focus all of our judging and staff resources on a flawless execution of the core awards—gold, silver and bronze across 101 different style categories.”
Here are San Diego’s winners:
- BNS – Old Prospector (American-Style Amber/Red Ale)
- Monkey Paw – MacGavin’s Plaid Monkey (Scottish-Style Ale)
- Societe – The Thief (Mixed Culture Brett Beer)
- Ballast Point Scripps Ranch – Black Marlin Porter (Robust Porter)
- Karl Strauss 4S Ranch – Farmhouse (French & Belgian-Style Saison)
- Rip Current – Breakline Bock (German-Style Bock or Maibock)
- Rouleur – Domestique Belgian Blonde Ale (Belgian-Style Pale Ale or Belgian-Style Blonde Ale)