Nationally and within its San Diego County chapter, the Pink Boots Society (PBS) works to advocate for the employment, education, advancement and representation of women in the brewing industry. Each year, International Women’s Day (IWD) provides a platform to further drive awareness of the organization and its mission. So, too, do the beers created on IWD when breweries across the country invite in groups of current and aspiring beer-industry women to craft specialty beers. This year, those beers were brewed using a special hop blend developed by PBS members in conjunction with Yakima, Washington-based YCH Hops. We met up with YCH’s Kelly Lohrmeyer to find out more about that blend and what inspired she and her colleagues to get involved with PBS and its inspiring IWD activities. (Note: A list of local PBS beers that will be available throughout San Diego County is included below.)
How did this blend come about?
The idea to collaborate on a hop-pellet blend stemmed from a chat between me and our CEO Mike Goettl. While walking through the hop fields last August, we both spoke of our shared passion to encourage and support female brewing professionals. What started as a casual conversation quickly led to a partnership with PBS. Together, we’re looking to elevate PBS’ mission and amplify its message around the world.
How did this blend come about and what hops does it consist of?
Members from across PBS chapters came together at last year’s Great American Beer Festival to rub hops and create a blend for this special brewing event. Collaboratively, they decided this year’s blend would include Palisade, Simcoe, Mosaic, Citra and Loral. It can be used for bittering, aroma and during the dry-hop stage. The blend character itself is fruity, with dominant citrus notes. As part of creating this blend, YCH is happy to donate 25% of each sale back to PBS [to help build its scholarship funds].
How else did YCH get involved?
We participated in many brews across San Diego. Trisha Gasseling, one of YCH’s growers, came down from Yakima. She and I toured San Diego, participating in brew days at Pizza Port, Belching Beaver Brewery, Eppig Brewing, Council Brewing, North Park Beer Co., Karl Strauss Brewing, Coronado Brewing, Stone Brewing and Fall Brewing. It was great to see all the different styles of beer being brewed and meet all the passionate women brewers. I am looking forward to when all the beers get released so I can try a few and send some up to Yakima for our growers to enjoy!
Are there any beers you’re particularly eager to try?
It’s so hard to choose just one, but I myself am a West Coast IPA fan..Mosaic hops for life! I am really excited to try North Park Beer’s all-oat IPA, Pizza Port’s honey-lemon pale ale and Belching Beaver’s berry gose.
Do you foresee YCH creating hop blends for this effort moving forward?
We hope to mirror this year’s success by having PBS members join us again [at GABF] this September to decide on another exciting blend. As time progresses, so do palates. Therefore, future blends might consist of a wide array of varietals not exclusive to this year’s quintet. We hope this is the first of many successful years partnering with PBS.
What other good causes does YCH assist?
We are always seeking out new ways to participate in charitable campaigns. We are actively involved in organizations like White Labs’ Komen Race for the Cure team Beer for Boobs, Pints for Prostates, and the Glen Hay Falconer Foundation, which contributes to brewing education. Additionally, we donate hops to brewers looking to donate products to communities effected by natural disasters and as part of our Corporate Social Responsibility Program, we give significantly to our local and regional organizations.
Pink Boots International Women’s Day Beers
- Amplified Ale Works, Fruit Boot IPA | Pacific Beach, Miramar
- Bay City Brewing, Causes & Cures Belgian IPA | Point Loma
- Belching Beaver Brewery, Strawberry Milkshake IPA | Oceanside, Vista, North Park
- Bitter Brothers Brewing, Session Wheat IPA | Bay Ho
- ChuckAlek Independent Brewers, India Pale Lager | North Park, Ramona
- Coronado Brewing, IPA | Bay Park, Coronado, Imperial Beach
- Council Brewing, IPA | Kearny Mesa
- Eppig Brewing, Double IPA | North Park, Point Loma
- Fall Brewing, Dirty Boots Double IPA | North Park
- Guadalupe Brewery, Botas IPA | Carlsbad
- Karl Strauss Brewing, IPA | Pacific Beach, 4S Ranch, Carlsbad, La Jolla, Sorrento Mesa, Little Italy
- Mikkeller Brewing San Diego, Milkshake IPA | Miramar
- North Park Beer Co., 100% Oat Hazy IPA | North Park
- Pizza Port, Hoppy Pale with Lemon & Honey | Carlsbad (Bressi Ranch)
- Saint Archer Brewery, Hoppy Wheat Ale | Miramar
- Second Chance Beer Co., Dry-Hopped Cream Ale | Carmel Mountain, North Park
- Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station, Red IPA with Pomegranate | Point Loma