[San Diego, CA] While local grape harvest season is underway, San Diego urban winery Charlie & Echo works double-time and announces their lineup of hopped wines for September and October as part of their ongoing Project X series.
“We’ve been making different hopped wines for the last three years,” said winemaker Eric Van Drunen (Echo). “People are always surprised and how well wine and hops can go together.”
The hopped wine series features not only wines with hops, but hopped wine cocktails, spritzers and sangria. All are carbonated for an added kick of refreshment, and can be enjoyed cold on tap at the winery tasting room (outdoor seating with no food purchase required). They’re also available in 375 ml cans to go, which can be ordered online for pickup or delivery.
The Project X series is fast-paced, featuring a new, limited release every week. The hopped wine series includes:
- Wet Hopped White – Sauvignon Blanc with locally grown, fresh Cascade hops.
- Cascade 75 – A version of a French 75 wine cocktail made with a “brandyshine” based compound gin, white wine, and Cascade hops.
- Citra Grapefruit Spritzer – A white wine spritzer with grapefruit and Citra hops.
- Mosaic & Miel – Sparkling white wine with Mosaic hops and a touch of Macadamia Nut honey.
- Nelson Sau:Vin Blanc – Sauvignon Blanc infused with Nelson Sauvin hops.
- Citra Rosé – Rosé wine infused with Citra hops.
- Mosaic Sangiogria – Sangria made with Sangiovese wine and Mosaic hops.
- Nelson Lemon Spritzer – A white wine spritzer with lemon and Nelson Sauvin hops.
- Death in the Cascades – A version of the Death in the Afternoon cocktail made with “brandyshine” based absinthe (w/o wormwood), white wine, and Cascade hops.
While most of Charlie & Echo’s production are natural wines (particularly pet-nats), Project X is the winery’s ongoing series of experimental, craft wine beverages. Exemplifying the wide range of libations possible with wine, Project X shows that wine can embody as much innovative spirit and craft culture as beer, cider, spirits, mead, or kombucha.
The hopped wine theme follows up on the winery’s most recent themes of spritzers and sangrias. Upcoming themes will feature wine cocktails and Vin de Liquors.
About Charlie & Echo
Charlie & Echo is an urban winery in San Diego producing natural and craft wine, mostly sparkling, from local vineyards. They’re small, independent, innovative, and care about everything they make. The winery is a member of 1% for the Planet, and Climate Positive – every monthly purchase of one bottle or four-pack of cans has the same positive impact on our climate as a mature tree. The winery and tasting room are located in the Miralani Makers’ District, just north of MCAS Miramar.